The interconnection via the internet of computing devices embedded in everyday objects, enabling them to send and receive data.
The internet of things refers to the billions of physical devices around the world that are now connected to the internet, all collecting and sharing data.
IoT is mainly used for devices that wouldn't be generally expected to have an internet connection that can communicate with the network independently of human action.
IoT devices are usually devices that are dedicated to:
- Basic services
- Data collection
- Manipulation or analysis
- Require servers to process tasks/information
- Pet tracking/bird migration
- Animal fitted with IoT sensor device
- Use mobild, Wi-Fi, Satellite networks to convey animals movments/location back for analysis and data processing
- Use robotics in automobile manufacture
- Stock retrieval in warehousing
- Driverless truck and trains in the mining industry
- Self driving tractors with GPS technology
- Street lighting, efficient and brightness related to footfall
- Waste bins cans automatically send data to waste management companies
- Smart traffic lights that respond to varying traffic volumes
- Portable Wi-Fi video cameras
- Smart air quality monitors
- Fitbit smart watches
- Ring pro smart video doorbells
- Garden sensors