A database model conceived as a flexible way of representing objects and their relationships.
This model tries to overcome the hierachcical data model
A child none can link to many different parents.
Parent nodes are called owners and child nodes are called members.
This model does support M:M
- Capability to handle more relationship types - Can handle the one to many and many to many relationship
- Easy of access data - The data access is easier and more flexible the hierarchical data model - Because of the multiple connections, more ways to access data.
- Data integrity - The network model does not allow a member to exist without an owner
- Conceptually easy to design
- System complecity - All the records are maintained using pointers and hence the whole database structure becomes very compelx
- Structure is not user friendly