Data grouped based on a type of file. One file is storing the data in a logical organised format.
AKA - Flat file
Data in files within separate organised folders. Folders tend to be hierarchical.
Like a tree
Organises data into table, which can be linked based on data common to each. It allows you to retrieve an entirely new table from one or more tables with a single query.
- Allows you to make changes while it's running
- Ease of backup and disaster recovery
- Organised data in separate tables
- The cost is expensive. There needs to be separate software
- Can be slow
- Based on storage
- Can be complex
- Vast amounts of data, lots of information to be stored.
- Many tables