- Program files
- Document (word processes) files
- Document/word process:
We have different file formats because:
- File size
- Loose quality, flile size smaller
- Keep quality, file size smaller
PNG will be the same after compression, it is lossles Compression
JPG quality is lower than PNG, it is lossy compression.
Data grouped based on a type of file.
One file that stores data in a logical format.
Data in files within separate organised folders. Structure tends to be hierarchical.
Organised data in tables, which are linked together. Data is a particular scenario.
- Flexible in handline data
- Organised data in separate tables
- Simpler compared to other models
- Easy to back up data
- Initial setup costs are expensive
- Can get slow peformance, depending on data stored
- Can be complex to store large amounts of data
- Flat files are easy to manage, due to one file
- Flat files require less hardware/software
- Easier to unserstand and setup
- Flat files are less secure
- Flat files can get data entry errors
- Flat files have repeated data, causing confusion and update errors
- Difficult to update