The act addresses policy issues related to electronic communications infrastructure and services, and updates the conditions for and sentencing of criminal copyright infringement.
The UK's digital economy is growing fast and digital technology is transforming every sector and all aspects of our lives.
If the UK is to remain ahead and be a world leader in digital economy we need to raise ambition and the Digital Economy Act includes a range of measures to support this.
- Makes the minimum standard of broadband connectivity to be 10 megabits per second
- Empowers consumers and provide better connectivity so that everyone has access to broadband
- Build a better infrastructure fit for the digital age
- Enable better public services using digital technologies
- Provide important protections for citizens from spam email and nuisance calls