Technical and Transferable
These are skills that you develop that relate directly to a specific job role.
For example, a
Software Developer may have skills in Python or C# programming.
technical skills are:
- Customer relations
- Firewall and security
- Network troubleshooting
- Software defined networks
- Hardware and infrastructure
- Domain name systems (DNS)
- Internet of things (IOT)
Transferable skills are skills that you can apply to any profession, but usually the skills that help you
stand out within your job role.
For example, you could have excellent communication skills.
transferable skills are:
- Team working
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
Infrastructure technician is a challenging and rewarding job.
They provide and support to customers and staff and help them to be more productive when using technology.
- Installing, testing and maintaining infrastructure components and systems
- Maintaining efficiency and effectiveness if an organisation's infrastructure
- Communicating digital infrastructure updates and scheduled system changes to end users
- Proactive management of digital services using structured techniques and digital tools to ensure optimum availability.
- Recovery and restoration of digital services.
- Performance optimisation of hardware, software and network system.
- Applying security measures to digital devices and networks.
- Incident/ problem detection, support and escalation (for example escalation to 3rd line technical support).
- Working to relevant legislation, standards and industry best practice.
- System design and documentation to organisational standards.
Service desk roles
- Usually involves identifying and diagnosing problems and issues. They may report and record this to help provide solutions and advise users on the best course of action and are responsible for monitoring an issue from start to finish.
- IT Service desk consultant
- IT Service desk lead
- IT Service desk technician
- IT customer support advisor
- Line support roles
└── There are multiple lines of support. 1st line - Simple... 4th line - Senior IT level
- Specialist roels
└── A job role can be more specific and directly recruit a particular specialism. For example:
├── Network engineer
├── Server engineer
├── Infrastructure technician
├── Cloud engineer
├── DevOps Engineer
└── Virtualisation engineer
Creating a good job specification is challenging. Ask for too many skills, but don't offer enough salary, and you won't get any applications.
If you don't identify the correct responsibilities and skills, you might get applications that are not suitable.